Competencies are a combination of the skills and knowledge required to be successful in your specific business based on your specific strategy. (You can’t borrow someone else’s!) Competencies should link to your vision, mission, and core values. They should also influence operations by establishing priorities for management and staff around the behavioral standards for success.
There are many ways to go about developing competencies, and FlashPoint customizes the approach based on the size of your company, your industry, and your culture. In general, the process includes:
- Getting input from all levels in the organization—a cross-functional mix of employees, managers, and senior leaders.
- Using focus groups, one-on-one interviews, and observations to gather perspectives.
- Focusing on critical competencies. If there are too many competencies, employees will be confused; if everything is a factor in success, nothing is a factor in success.
- Ensuring that competencies are future-focused rather than need- or problem-focused and that there are detailed behaviors associated with each.
- Leveling competencies to fit with various types of roles and types of leaders.
Once you have competencies in place, FlashPoint can help you integrate them into your other leadership development initiatives, including leader development, coaching programs, and succession planning.
|We’ll help you answer the question:
“If we’re to succeed in our strategy, what must employees do more of to get us there?”